GPU recommendations?

T

TGxAltair

'Ello

Sometime this year, I'm going to find myself with the problem of upgrading my GPU. It handles everything just fine right now but I know it's holding the system back and certain games suffer from it. Below are my system specs, I'm looking for a decent GPU that will last a few years and is up to £400 in price, I can push to £500 at an absolute maximum.
  • 1TB internal SATA III HDD + 1TB external SATA III HDD
  • MSI Z77A-G43 Z77 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
  • 3 x Crucial 8GB DDR3 1333 MT/s
  • Corsair TXM 850W Semi Modular PSU
  • Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
  • Thermaltake Contac 21 CPU Cooler
  • PowerColor HD 7870 PCS+ Vortex II Edition 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
  • Coolermaster 334U Case
  • Corsair Vengeance 1300 Analog PC Gaming Headset
I have an idea of what I'd like but thought I'd get some extra opinions.

Cheers
Altair

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
So the first thing I tell everyone.. The Video Card Market sucks right now. They want too much for too little increase and Bitcoins did not help. Most Video card prices are majorly inflated right now.

That being said I see you with 3 options here.

1. If you need an upgrade now but don't want to spend a lot. Pickup another 7870 and run crossfire. Nevermind, looks like you only have 1 pci-e 3.0 slot.
2. If your going to upgrade now, you might as well make it worth it. There are 2 main cards I see worth at least doubling the power you have now.
3. This is my recommendation. Wait it out, put the money away and get some more cash flowing. I'd predict in the next 2-3 months we will see some new cards announced or start to release. I'm in the same boat your in, My 6950(awesome card) died so I had to go with a cheap alternative, gotta 270x on sale to just hold me over until something new pops up. I'll sell my 270x and buy something else.

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
I am holding off on a new card as well. Praven heard how loud my video card is while playing ESO yesterday. It's been "dying" for a while.

T

TGxAltair

Cheers for the comments :)

Even if I wanted another 7870, they're discontinued mate. I've searched for months to find one hehe.

I've almost paid off my holiday and extra driving license so I'll put the money away over the next few months. I could probably get a decent card on finance if I liked but paying it off in full is easier in the long-run I think. I'll keep an eye on both of those cards.

T

TGxAltair

I thought you had to have the exact same card to crossfire it.

I've found other 7870 GPUs but not the same card as mine.

T

TGxAltair

I've found these few cards I'm interested in, I may take the finance option on them:

http://www.ebuyer.com/640981-exdisp...splayport-pci-e-graphics-ebr2-gv-n780d5-3gd-b

http://www.ebuyer.com/611115-palit-...dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-ne5x78th10fb-1100j

http://www.ebuyer.com/636480-exdisp...-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-ebr1-zt-70501-10p

I know two of them are exdisplay, I was wondering if they're worth it or not? Out of those, what's the best value for money? I just looked at the GTX 780 GPU and found these, maybe another GPU is better value I'm not sure.

T

TGxAltair

You think the Palit GPU listed there is worth it?

Or should I go for a Palit 780 that isn't the TI version? Not sure what the main differences are.

B

BlaaBlaa

£520 is ridiculous price for GTX780.
I don't know about Palit's quality, I never had any, but if you want GTX780, then go for EVGA GTX780 SC ACX.
I have one of those for about an year now and can say that it's great card. Excellent performance in games, quiet and thanks to the ACX cooler always on low temps even in full load. After all EVGA GTX780 SC ACX is one of the best GTX780 GPUs, if not the best :). BTW it beats TITAN in tests.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...mhz-gddr5-gpu-967mhz-boost-1020mhz-cores-2304

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/geforce-gtx-780-pci-e

B

BlaaBlaa

Cheers for the advice, BlaaBlaa, I'll definitely take a look.

http://www.ebuyer.com/508197-evga-g...dmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-03g-p4-2783-kr

What about that one too?
That one is basically the same model, but with the nVidia's reference cooler, which is worse than ACX. Therefore the card is operating on higher temps and lower clocks, not sure about the clocks, but I thinks they are lowered to avoid overheating.

So for £10 more, you will buy a lot better card (GTX780 SOC ACX)

edit:
nVidia's cooler: Core Clock (MHz) - Base: 863MHz; Boost: 902MHz
ACX cooler: Core Clock (MHz) - Base: 967MHz; Boost: 1020MHz

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
That one is basically the same model, but with the nVidia's reference cooler, which is worse than ACX. Therefore the card is operating on higher temps and lower clocks, not sure about the clocks, but I thinks they are lowered to avoid overheating.

So for £10 more, you will buy a lot better card (GTX780 SOC ACX)

edit:
nVidia's cooler: Core Clock (MHz) - Base: 863MHz; Boost: 902MHz
ACX cooler: Core Clock (MHz) - Base: 967MHz; Boost: 1020MHz
Usually theres a stock speed and a boosted speed. Most companies throw on a third party cooler and overclock some MHz. But to say it runs at higher temps isn't really true. It's more that it runs a stock temperatures. There are other factors that might increase this like external case cooling and location of the card , etc. There are some companies who have stock coolers that can run circles around a third party cooler so bare that in mind as well.

However like I said, with buying a card with a third party cooler installed will allow you to get the extra boost in speed without voiding warranty or worrying about messing it up.

T

TGxAltair

Cheers fellas, I'll be getting one in the next few weeks hopefully :)

T

TGxAltair

I went for that GPU mate, also purchased 1 x 140mm case fan and 2 x 120mm case fans for added coooolnessss.

T

TGxAltair

Yehh pal, 780 superclocked with ACX cooler, also got some case fans while I was at it seeing as I haven't got any at the moment :p

B

BlaaBlaa

Good choice mate :).
Don't forget to register it on EVGA's website to get extended warranty, extra free games and EVGA's special softwares for fine tunning and monitoring.

T

TGxAltair

How do I register it? Do I need a code from the card or?