Shadowplay NOOB

BSquare172

Famous
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
I am trying to use Shadowplay to record portions of our "epicness" in DayZ. When something cool happens I have Shadowplay setup to record the last 20 minutes of game play. This part is working OK.

After that is created I would like to cut out the good parts and somehow upload for others to enjoy.

2 questions:
1. Suggest a free video editor that will allow me to cut out small portions of these large files.
2. Shadowplay saves the file as a .dvr, what type of video file would be best to use for sharing on the site? (I assume this would be uploaded to youtube and linked)

Thanks for any help.
BSquare172

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
Have never heard of Shadow play.. Does it always somehow record? and then when you press record it takes the last 20 minutes and saves it?

If you have the space, OBS (http://obsproject.com/) is the best free recorder/streamer out there. It'll allow you to save your videos in the correct format. I'm assuing .dvr is their own extension. As for saving it, I think MP4 is the standard, or even WMV / MPEG. I think youtube prefers MP4 however.

As for editors, iMovie still dominates for the free editors, Windows movie maker isn't bad and would probably be the easiest way to do it. Lightworks is mostly free but I've never used it. http://www.lwks.com/

BSquare172

Famous
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
Sshadowplay is a part of the nvidia 600 series and higher cards. What little I know is that instead of using software to record gameplay it uses a portion of the graphics card. It can be used in 2 different ways, manual push hot key to start and stop recording, or shadowplay push hotkey to record up to the last 20 minutes of gameplay. Pretty cool concept, but I am still working out the kinks. Currently the recordings are stuttering every so often and the sound is not timed with the video.

Thanks for the suggestions on the editors, I will give them a try.

If I get this clip cut down, do you suggest posting to youtube to share? Could I send the file to you guys to post on the Revenant Channel?

Rexigar

Forum Master
Staff member
We can upload it on the Revenant YouTube channel no problem. I use OBS as well for the Revenant Gaming Twitch Channel. In addition to the stream I also record everything as well so I can edit the videos. Once I get enough footage I will string it together in a compilation video.

A

Azrael

i use shadowplay often and been doing it awhile. i recommend decreasing the shadow record to 5 min or so.
1. it will cut the video into 4Gb sections usually, believe you can change these settings but i find it best to leave them as any video software would take a substantial amount of time to load in a 20min segment and not rly worth it when 2. shadow record wont "double" record when you use the shadow function; meaning if you have it set to 10 minutes, hit the save hotkey, then 3 minutes later you decide you wanna save something that just happened. when you hit the save hotkey it will only record the last 3 minutes that you HAVENT alrdy saved, instead of recording the 3 minutes PLUS 7 minutes of footage you already have. i have mine set to 5 min intervals, and immediately after doing something worth recording i just tap the save key and i know that when i go into my video section i only have to hunt through 5 min of video and know that what i wanted is most likely at the end of the clip, rather than having to load and sift through a 20 minute segment. but if you have any questions on shadowplay hit me up. its deff an amazing program for Nvidia GeForce users.

A

Azrael

i use OBS as wel for things i dont want to run in fullscreen. shadowplay only recognizes and records games when they're in fullscreen. but OBS is more demanding on your system than shadowplay. all about preference really and what your trying to do

RivaCom

Forum Master
Staff member
Bronze Donor
Supporter
i use OBS as wel for things i dont want to run in fullscreen. shadowplay only recognizes and records games when they're in fullscreen. but OBS is more demanding on your system than shadowplay. all about preference really and what your trying to do
OBS uses CPU Cycles where as I'm assuming Shadowplay is a feature built into the Nvidia drivers and GPU, meaning less tax on the actual computer and more on the video card.

A

Azrael

yeah shadow play uses the built in h.264 encoder on the GPU to record without taxing your system, and with the "Shadow" function you never have to have it recording all the time so you ony record what you want, and you end up with alot less useless footage. i like them both and use them both on a daily basis.

BSquare172

Famous
Revenant Member
Revenant Ambassador
Bronze Donor
This is very helpful. Thanks for your time. I will have some more questions for you. Thanks again.

B